What is Reconstituted Tobacco (Recon)?
Simply, it means “recycled” or “reconstituted” tobacco. It can be defined as a tobacco material in sheet shape which is acquired by collecting the remnants of tobacco leaf after the processing procedure.
Reconstituted tobacco is also referred as Recon, RTS, RTL, RT, RLT, RCB, PCL and homogenized sheet tobacco.
Reconstituted Tobacco & Traditional Cigarette
When you put a traditional cigarette under a microscope, you can spot shredded coffee-colored materials inside that resembles the pulp of mashed tobacco stems and various parts of the tobacco leaf.
Purpose Of Recon
As we defined the terms reconstituted tobacco and sheet, let’s take a look how do manufacturers leverage from this processing technique.
• To form a very consistent and high-quality cigarette blend
• To obtain a good looking physical shape
• To reduce tobacco manufacturing cost
• To adjust component ratio
Cost saving effect by higher filling volume, burning rate optimization, easiness of adjusting ingredients and inserting flavors are the outcomes of recon technology.
Types Of Reconstituted Tobacco
Pioneered by Recon INC. Brazil, Comas SPA Brazil, and STI. We are the only company supplying nanofiber recon which became the industry benchmark to obtain the tensile strength, aromatic preservation, filling power and cost efficiency. Nano-fiber recon is obtained by the following process.
Papermaking reconstituted tobacco utilizes tobacco by-products such as stems, scraps, and midribs., etc. as its raw material and produced by paper technology.
- Tobacco by-products are broken up and mixed with water. The fiber portion and the soluble portion are separated.
- The fiber portion goes to papermaking process to be formed as a base sheet.
- The soluble is cleaned and then concentrated by evaporation.
- The formed sheet and the extracted soluble are combined again.
- The sheet is dried and cut into suitable shapes for the cigarette manufacturer.
Slurry Paper is a mixture of fines and tobacco stems is ground to power, mixed with water and vegetable binding agent. The soluble residue is formed to sheets by extracting the water.
The strength of Slurry-type Recon
- Less investment (below $1mil.)
- No need for wastewater treatment
- Good quality of taste & aroma
The weakness of Slurry-type Recon
- Less production capacity
- More easily breakable
- The uniformity of quality is not good as paper-making recon